[FFmpeg-user] Colour metadata not preserved when re-encoding ProRes/mov to FFV1/mkv

Reto Kromer lists at reto.ch
Wed Jul 25 16:56:57 EEST 2018

Kieran O Leary wrote:

>Reto: Can you elaborate on the multiplication that you mention?
>I'm assuming that this is not just the increase in file size
>that you mention,

I guess, that's the more "visible" aspect for many archives.

(I used the term "multiplication" (in quotation marks), because
it's more that just an addition.)

>but perhaps you're referring to losslessly
>compressing a proprietary lossy codec and ending up with
>something that could be more complex than is necessary?

For example the increased complexity slows down the workflows.
If you have just a few of those files, then it doesn't really
hurt; but if there are PB, then it does make a difference in
terms of needed time and/or infrastructure. I have included
ProRes and QuickTime issues in presentations during the last
year or so, and an article will possibly be published by the
IASA Journal.

>I think even
>if we go ahead with this normalisation of our legacy in-house
>created material, applying it to potential ProRes
>donations/deposits would be a different conversation..

My concern is about "ProRes-born" materials. For example many
video artists have used or are still using this way to create.
Or low-budget productions. In all those situations ProRes is the
best possible quality.

I would also be interested in knowing the ratio, let's say,
between ProRes 4444 and DPX productions which are currently
screened as DCP in theatres.

Best regards, Reto

AV Preservation by reto.ch
chemin du Suchet 5 | 1024 Ecublens | Switzerland
Web: <https://reto.ch> | Twitter: @retoch