[FFmpeg-user] Anyone having success capturing hours of 4k video, reliably and with low loss, using ffmpeg?

Jim DeLaHunt from.ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Mon Jul 30 07:07:28 EEST 2018

On 2018-07-25 16:01, Rafael Lima wrote:
> Jim,
>
> Teorically there is no limitation on ffmpeg that would make it fail because
> of the long running time... there are many stream serveres built with
> ffmpeg running on 24hours basis.
Thank you, Rafael. It's helpful to have anecdotes like this.  It would
be even more helpful to have specific testimonials, such as "we use
ffmpeg to do ABC, we run ffmpeg instances 24hours continuously without
error."

I'm not surprised to hear that ffmpeg has no designed limitation that
would make it fail when running a long time. There could, however, be
_bugs_ that would make it fail. That's why testimonials are helpful.

But what I'm taking from this thread is: should work in theory, no-one
saying they have experience with it failing, a few saying they have
experience with it working.
> You had an experience and you didn't like the result, what on your result
> made you conclude that was ffmpeg fault?
I don't conclude that ffmpeg was at fault. That experiment is just a
data point to say that setting up such a system is not incredibly simple
and reliable.
> How to make sure the loss is not
> related to the camera, to the connection between server and camera, to
> server limitations... have you had a sucessfull test with the same
> configuration just changing the ffmpeg to one propretary system?
>
> I believe most of people who answered before were believing you need to
> compress the data before store, since 1h of 4K can lead to some terabytes
> of data if not compressed
Again, I'm not asking people to design my system for me. My goal with
the question was to limit the range of possibilities, by having someone
come forward with concrete experiences.

In any case, we will have to test it. Thank you for your reply,

       —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953