[FFmpeg-user] why ffplay cannot decode a sequence that can be decoded by ffmpeg

Zak ffmpeg-user-email at m.allo.ws
Tue Jun 12 04:21:49 EEST 2018

On 2018-06-11 at 5:32 PM EDT, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>> My purpose is to calculate some metrics such as: fps, miss rate, etc, of
>> video decoding. So I need only to decode a video without displaying it.
>
> Sorry for missing this:
> In this case, ffplay is the wrong tool for you, ffmpeg -i input -an -f null -
> may be a better idea.

Okay, I am going to ask the questions that have been on my mind for this
entire thread:

1. What is the goal of the original email? Frames per second is
available from ffprobe, right? Does "miss rate" refer to cache misses
while operating on the compressed video data? Won't the number of cache
misses depend on many factors, possibly including whether the computer
hardware is also busy rendering and displaying a video on the screen,
such that disabling all video display actually will change the "miss
rate"? This does not seem like a characteristic of the video file
itself, it seems like a statistic that is only available during a
specific instance of playing the video with specific software and
hardware. Or maybe I am misunderstanding. The number of cache misses may
in practice be exactly the same every time you play a given video on
certain hardware, but the original email says the test is being run
remotely on a computer that cannot display video, so any actual playback
will occur on a different computer that will have different performance,
unless I am misunderstanding.

2. What does ffmpeg with -f null really do, and how is it different than
ffprobe?

Thank you,

Zak