[FFmpeg-user] Quicktime - Specify a Movie Header timescale of 24000

Mark Burton mwjburton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 23:20:59 EET 2018

On 8 Mar 2018, at 17:21, Carl Eugen Hoyos <ceffmpeg at gmail.com> wrote:
> You need a compiler, make and git. Iirc, all three are installed if you
> type something like "gcc -v" on the command line (but I assume they
> are now installed by brew).

Thank you very much! That filled in a few blanks for me and I was able to get it all working. So I built from the current git and tested the ffmpeg build. The timescale issue was still the same, with inaccurate seeking.

Then in movenc.h I changed MOV_TIMESCALE from 1000 to 24000 and built ffmpeg again. This time the output .mov worked, with no seeking issues!

Finally in movenc.h I changed MOV_TIMESCALE to 600 and built ffmpeg again. Again, the output .mov worked, with no seeking issues!

I imagine some exhaustive testing is needed for other workflows, and I’m obviously not aware yet of why 1000 was chosen for ffmpeg (??), but based on the Quicktime specification documents and what the default timescale is set to there, it would seem that a switch from 1000 to 600 could be a very positive change.

Please could you advise what I would need to do from here to move things forward.

Many thanks again for your time and help getting ffmpeg built.

Regards
Mark