[FFmpeg-user] ProRes encoding: Question about FFmpeg docs

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Mar 12 12:45:07 EET 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 08:24:26 +0100, Peter B. wrote:
> But now I know:
>
>   * -c:v prores_ks: uses the documented profile strings
>   * -c:v prores_aw (=prores): seems to work only with integers (not in the documentation/nor help)

Indeed.

> [prores_aw @ 0x36fdc40] unknown profile -1, use [0 - apco, 1 - apcs, 2 -
> apcn (default), 3 - apch]

Ah, interesting, I didn't actually *try* the encoder.

> btw: for "encoder=prores" or "encoder=prores_aw", this doesn't provide
> much information:
>
> Encoder prores_aw [Apple ProRes]:
>     General capabilities: threads
>     Threading capabilities: frame
>     Supported pixel formats: yuv422p10le

Ah, that's interesting. That's due to the fact that prores_ks chose to
implement their own encoder-specific options for profile, while
prores_aw uses the value from ffmpeg's global option. (Confusing? A
bit, but shouldn't be to the user.)

Consequently, at least the valid profiles should be documented.
Furthermore, a proposal to implement prores_aw's profiles so that they
a) accepts strings, and b) document themselves automatically would be
nice. (Should be easy to implement, not sure if it would be accepted. I
would do it, but don't have the time today. ;-))

Cheers,
Moritz