[FFmpeg-user] unable to view this video as one screen

Lou Logan lou at lrcd.com
Sun Mar 25 05:51:28 EEST 2018

On Sat, Mar 24, 2018, at 4:04 PM, JD wrote:
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqboujtUk4Y
>
> My browser shows 3 parallel views instead of one, of the same "picture".

An ugly, yet common design choice to deal with the popular rise of annoying vertical videos being played in the traditional horizontal layout.

> can ffmpeg do something so I can use ffplay to view it as one "picture" ?

Download the video using youtube-dl or similar.

Then play with ffplay using the crop filter:
ffplay -vf crop=iw/3 input.mp4

You may have to adjust the values. See:
https://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-filters.html#crop