[FFmpeg-user] How to properly record sound when capturing web cam?

Jean Louis ffmpeg at rcdrun.com
Tue May 1 13:54:18 EEST 2018

Hello,

I would like to know how to properly record sound
when capturing video camera.

The command that works well is following one:

ffmpeg -f v4l2 -video_size 640x480 -i /dev/video0 -thread_queue_size 1024 -f alsa -i pulse -bufsize 256k output.ogv

however, if I change the format, and use it like:

ffmpeg -f v4l2 -video_size 640x480 -i /dev/video0 -thread_queue_size 1024 -f alsa -i pulse -bufsize 256k output.mp4

then in that case the sound get lost some number
of seconds before the video ends, and all becomes
silent in the output file.

If anybody knows how to remedy that, let me know.

Also other options to improve web cam recording
for low quality size is needed, so that I may send
video messages easy.

Jean Louis