[FFmpeg-user] ffprobe decoding and posting stream attributes

Alvaro Jimenez alcejibe at hotmail.com
Wed May 2 00:25:39 EEST 2018

Hi all,
I need to have ffprobe, ffplay, or ffmpeg to decode the stream itself and print the stream attributes without pulling the information from embedded metadata. I have streams sources with the wrong metadata. ffprobe shows data that diverges by a good percentage from what is reported by the encoder settings. The metadata reads a stream bit rate of about 2Mbps, but the encoder settings report 800kbps. The discrepancy is too large to dismiss.

I am seeing this issue with RTMP, HLS, and MPEG-DASH streams. I read on a blog that >ffprobe -show_streams rtmp://source will decode the stream before posting the results. Is it possible to get confirmation on that. I am trying to convince some peers of the importance of having matching metadata with actual encoder settings. They are using a homebrew version of rtmp encoders, and a tweaked wowza architecture for DASH, but the readings that I am getting from my tools do not match what they encoders are doing.

     [http://graphics.hotmail.com/emarrow_right.gif]   Alvaro Jimenez  [http://graphics.hotmail.com/emarrow_left.gif]