[FFmpeg-user] audio video sync and drift

John Smith localdevjs at gmail.com
Sat May 5 19:37:49 EEST 2018

> > So is there anything I can do or change, to get this to work? Is there no
> > way to record audio and video from different sources, and just use "wall
> > time" or "time elapsed since executing ffmpeg" to sync up the audio /
> > video?
>
> You can try to use wallclock time for the network input, v4l
> already uses wallclock timestamps.

Thanks Carl; I switched my project to use pulse audio everywhere (instead
of alsa) and now it appears that the audio from pulse and video from v4l
stays in sync. I didn't force pulse to use wallclock, I just told it to use
pulse for audio and now it seems to stay in sync. So I'm not 100% sure what
"wallclock" is compared to "non wallclock"; but in this case v4l and pulse
are in sync now.

However, I would really like to know if there is anything I can do to make
"tcp" stay in sync as well? So here was the old command (pre switchover to
pulse):

ffmpeg -y -f video4linux2 -pix_fmt yuv420p -framerate 25 -i /dev/video1 \
    -f s16le -ar 44100 -ac 2 -i tcp://localhost:55555 \
    -ar 44100 -af "aresample=async=1000" -c:v libx264 -vf
"fps=25,format=yuv420p" -g 60 -crf 23 -preset superfast /data/
13202a7ec918dd43e280a9aeb7063f01.mp4 \
    -ar 44100 /data/13202a7ec918dd43e280a9aeb7063f01.mp3

I don't see anything on the ffmpeg website that shows how to use "s16le" /
"tcp" (I must have found that example on the net long time ago), and
certainly nothing that would suggest how to make it use wallclock time?

Kind of lost here. I _can_ use pulse, but the problem with that is that I
lose my ability to mix audio in my project, since now the recording and
streaming only comes from one source in pulse audio; with tcp, I can load
up 5 audio sources into my project, mix them as needed, then send the final
output to tcp where ffmpeg is listening and recording audio.

Thanks for your help!
John