[FFmpeg-user] Nvenc Fails with Cannot Init CUDA

Fabian Russell fr314159 at gmail.com
Thu May 31 22:46:25 EEST 2018

It is possible that my video card does not support nvenc.  Although the GPU
is a GK208, I have read that some models of GK208 do not support nvenc.

However, ffmpeg reports that nvenc is available:

ffmpeg -encoders | grep nvenc

 V..... h264_nvenc           NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder (codec h264)
 V..... nvenc                NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder (codec h264)
 V..... nvenc_h264           NVIDIA NVENC H.264 encoder (codec h264)
 V..... nvenc_hevc           NVIDIA NVENC hevc encoder (codec hevc)
 V..... hevc_nvenc           NVIDIA NVENC hevc encoder (codec hevc)

Does ffmpeg read the actual hardware to make this report or does it report
nvenc because it has been compiled with --enable-nvenc?