[FFmpeg-user] HD MXF SMPTE ST377 Standard Compliance Problem with multiple IndexTableSegments carring Unique ID twins (maybe a bug)

Marton Balint cus at passwd.hu
Sat Nov 10 01:19:31 EET 2018

On Fri, 9 Nov 2018, Lou Logan wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 9, 2018, at 8:01 AM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>
>> (Continuing a discussion I had with several people who archive.)
>> I wonder if this is all intentional (seriously!), you have a
>> specification that from all I know is unclear, multiple different
>> and incompatible implementations and several commercial
>> applications that tell you what's wrong in the files - but
>> nobody seems to be very interested in fixing these "issues".
>
> This reminds me of a few conversations I've had with those seeking
> alternatives in the seemingly locked-in world of the legacy cable
> broadcast stream conformation cycle. Luckily I'm not involved in
> broadcast but the situation (a few years ago at least) seemed to be:
>
> "Buy our $4000 (USD) analyzer to see what we say is 'wrong' with your
> input. Buy our $6000 muxer to make it pass our analyzer."

Heh :)

Well, MXF is complicated, and based on what do you want to be compatible
with there are many flavours. Some issues reported by the analyzers can be
fixed, some can't be, because of the limited architecture of ffmpeg.

I guess there is no huge interest to improve the mxf muxer because BMXlib
tools like raw2bmx already do pretty good mxf wrapping (much better than
ffmpeg) and they support many flavours. I suggest using that for creating
standards compliant MXF.

On the other hand offering a bounty for fixing issues in the ffmpeg MXF
muxer might be an option, as far as I remember Baptiste and Michael did
work lately on mxfenc.

Regards,
Marton