[FFmpeg-user] Trying to use for first time- logging out automatically

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Mon Oct 22 10:11:18 EEST 2018

On Mon, Oct 22, 2018 at 04:29:48 +0200, Randy Carrier wrote:
> All I'm doing is double-clicking on the exec file and this is what happens. Thanks, I'll see if I can figure it out.

Ah, okay. Well, that is the expected behavior. ffmpeg(.exe) is a
terminal program. It doesn't open a GUI or such. If you launch it
without command line arguments, it will only display a short help, as
quoted in your first email.

You need to call ffmpeg from a command shell (such as cmd.exe under
Windows), and pass command line arguments, telling it what to do.

Please read the introductory documentation here:
http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html

If you would rather have a GUI, i.e. something to click and navigate,
there's no particular frontend I can recommend, I don't use any. Some
people tend to use HandBrake, which may use ffmpeg under the hood for
some stuff (I'm not even sure).

Cheers,
Moritz