[FFmpeg-user] Will ffmpeg always use the existing orig.parameters when no new are specified on cmdline for re-encoding?

Ben bxstover at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Oct 25 15:23:37 EEST 2018

Assume I have an original video file (AVI, MP4 or MKV).

I want to re-encode it to a new (lower) video bitrate.

When I enter at the command line a ffmpeg command and specify (beside input and output file name) only the new video bitrate:
Will ffmpeg ALWAYS automatically take the remaining parameters from the existing video?

In otehr words: Will e.g. the frames per second, the max keyframe interval, the resolution, the audio bitrate and codec always be the same as the original?

If not: Can I tell ffmpeg explicitely, manually to use them? Similar to

ffmpeg.exe -i ....  -b:v 2200k -useotherparmsfrominput ......

Ben