[FFmpeg-user] Problems playing mjpeg stream at different bitrates

Fabian Kurt fabian.kurt at tomtom-tools.com
Mon Sep 17 12:30:36 EEST 2018

Hi there everyone,

We are developing an application which includes playing a live mjpeg stream
from a network camera. I intend to use FFmpeg to do get the job done but

FFPlay is often not able to decode the stream. If we configure higher
bitrates of the camera output, FFplay is more often able to decode it but
not always. At lower bitrates <6Mbit/s it's mostly impossible to decode. The
main error occurring is: "No JPEG data found in image". When we used VLC
player it had no problems to decode all different bitrates with the same
camera. I attached the console output of FFplay.

I saved two example streams to file and uploaded it on a public dropbox
link:

 <https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pgmsk0wgn9ecs70/AAAiIc-1ihGkeumamZ2NSjB3a?dl=0>
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pgmsk0wgn9ecs70/AAAiIc-1ihGkeumamZ2NSjB3a?dl=0

One stream it's able to play, the other not:

test_09_15_55_notPlaying.stream : 640x480 30fps 4Mbit/s

test_09_18_45_playing.stream : 640x480 30fps 6Mbit/s

The command we use is:

ffplay -f mjpeg -err_detect ignore_err -framerate 100 -noborder -i
udp://localhost:25000

Do I miss some settings?

Thanks,

Fabian