[FFmpeg-user] Timestamp for variable frame rate (VFR ) video

Wolfgang Hugemann auto at hugemann.de
Tue Sep 18 12:05:02 EEST 2018

> Drawtext filter already have timecode you want, and its in all in
documentation.

Yes, there is a timecode option for the drawtext command, creating a
SMPTE, but using it you have to supply an fixed framerate, which is then
used to produce the SMPTE. This is not the right aprpoach for VFR video.

I consciously used the word timestamp in the subject heading. As there
seems to be confusion about the terminology:

I would like to display the exact time where the frame has to be placed
in the timeline, such that I can calculate the speed of the passenger
car, which ran into an accident.

Wolfgang Hugemann