[FFmpeg-user] Overlay performance

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Tue Aug 27 19:17:41 EEST 2019

On 8/27/2019 9:04 AM, Darrin Smith wrote:
> I did copy the command, but there is no way to get better hardware. This is
> for an app where the user may have even lesser hardware (cell phones) than
> what was used so I'm hoping to optimize it as much as possible.

Try using a cropped overlay (not full size)- if most of the full-size
overlay is transparent, there's no point in processing that part, let ffmpeg
ignore those pixels.

Make sure the color spaces and formats are identical.

Remove the math from the filter complex; do it in the outside script (but
the next will take care of this).

Drop any filters/options that aren't actually necessary (i.e. rotate=0 and
all the rotate options); if you're not rotating, don't include them at all.

Consider using an uncompressed overlay (so it doesn't need to be decoded).

Basically, optimize all of the operations and remove redundant or
non-operational ones.

> Thank you for your feedback anything else you can think of?
Please stop top-posting on this list.

Later,

z!