[FFmpeg-user] Meaning of ffprobe output

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Sat Feb 2 20:27:49 EET 2019

Am 02.02.19 um 18:38 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>> Am 30.01.19 um 15:08 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>>> Without interpolation, this is what all video players do if you disable
>>> all de-interlacing.
>>> The problem is what kind of "interpolation" you use, this is called
>>> de-interlacing, an endless number of algorithms exist.
>> OK, my understandig was, "de-interlacing" means to re-encode from
>> interlaced to progressive _and_ do some interpolation or whatever stuff.
> No, these are two completely independent operations, one of which
> hast nothing to do with de-interlacing.

Correct. I wanted to say, that I was in error with my former understanding.

But if I have a interlaced encoded stream with interlaced content, I
guess only both steps at same time ensure to get a progressive stream
with good visual quality. If I have material, where only one of the
steps have been done, to make up leeway the missing step should be a
good idea.
In my case, where the content seems more or less de-interlaced
progressive, it should be good to remove the interlace encoding, but
nothing more. This seems to be done automatically when transcoding the
interlaced encoded vob stream to a mp4 stream with libx264, as the input
stream is marked with "top first", but not the output stream.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

-Ulf