[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg HIGH CPU, http streaming with libmp3lame

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Feb 6 12:13:44 EET 2019

On Tue, Feb 05, 2019 at 21:05:33 +0100, Zoltan Kerenyi Nagy wrote:
> I see, however do you think it is normal that recording to 300 sec wav
> segments digests 4% CPU, in contrast with streaming with mp3 conversion and
> recording to wav at the same time digest 90-100% CPU on an ARM7 device
> which has 4 cores an 625 Mhz CPU and 256MB ram?

Did you read Carl Eugen's hint that there may be some format conversion
involved, which you can avoid if you request the correct format from
ALSA (IIUC)?

https://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-user/2019-February/043140.html

Aprart from that, encoding to WAV (i.e. PCM) is extremely easy on the
CPU, unlike encoding to "more" compressed formats.

Moritz