[FFmpeg-user] What is option -level ?

Ulf Zibis Ulf.Zibis at gmx.de
Tue Feb 12 20:18:12 EET 2019

Much thanks again.

Am 12.02.19 um 18:51 schrieb Ted Park:
>> I'm wondering, why this option is not documented in
>> https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html <https://www.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg-codecs.html>
> It is, sort of. It is a global codec option; various codecs have a concept of “levels” but since the definition will be completely different from one codec to another, it wouldn’t be practical to document all possible values and their meaning.

But wouldn't it be useful to simply mention it's existence, syntax and
general meaning? Additionally in the paragraphs of each codec the values
and meanings could be documented or at least link to an external source.
How it's determined, if the option is meant for the video or the audio
codec and how to do, if a different level is wanted for each codec?

>> Unfortunately also here I can't find level 30:
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels>
> The decimal point is omitted in 30, 3 is the one you are looking for.

Thanks!

-Ulf