[FFmpeg-user] OT: POLL Do you want RTX? Cross-website-post.

David Niklas doark at mail.com
Sat Feb 16 02:42:48 EET 2019

On Fri, 15 Feb 2019 22:37:00 +0100
Moritz Barsnick <barsnick at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 13:43:44 -0500, Ted Park wrote:
> > > Yes, Ray Tracing eXtensions (RTX) may be relevant to video editing,
> > > and therefore, ffmpeg, at a later date.
> > How? This is hard to imagine.
>
> I agree.
>
> 10 years ago, Intel tried to make a case for ray tracing in games:
> https://techreport.com/news/17641/intel-shows-larrabee-doing-real-time-ray-tracing
>
> So, now it finally seems to be coming. I do see the use case.
>
> I don't see this case for videos, as ffmpeg processes. Even if there is
> a small niche for it, just about *everything* would be different -
> except the output, if rendered to pixel graphics.
>
> My 2ยข, as of today ;-),
> Moritz

If you wanted my theory it goes like this. Currently videos of movies
depict the camera viewing 1 or more of the subjects at 1 particular angle
and 1 particular zoom factor.
Now if you used some tech, say Intel's new "immersive media" using
"volumetric content",

https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/01/intel-studios-fact-sheet.pdf

then you could combine the known position of people and objects, ray
tracing, and what each items color is to allow a video file to be played
from different perspectives, zoom factors, and looking at different
people/things.
It's a long way off, I know, and at the risk of saying the obvious, the
decisions that are made today are the ones that affect tomorrow.

With AMD's interest in what buyers think of RTX, and the fact that
they have created and released opensource drivers, thus demonstrating
that we are worthy of their time, this gives the Linux community a chance
to finally be included in the discussion! I don't understand the
communities lack of enthusiasm! I'm up to only 9 votes across 6
distros! :(

Thanks,
David