[FFmpeg-user] Non-English (Chinese) file and filepath names in FFmpeg Command Line

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Feb 22 19:08:48 EET 2019

(please don't top-post)

On 2/22/2019 8:45 AM, Wayne wrote:
> Any way of using non-asci characters in FFmpeg command lines?

Do you mean using single-byte characters in the range 0x80-0xff or
multi-byte characters?

ffmpeg is written in 'c' and uses standard libc string routines (i.e.strcmp,
strlen), so all 8-bit characters should work. I wouldn't expect
multi-byte/wide characters to work, nor for ffmpeg to be easily changed to
do so unless libc automagically DoesThe-Right-Thing (and I don't think it will).

Safer to stick with 8-bit characters.

z!