[FFmpeg-user] Meaning of ffprobe output

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Sat Jan 19 18:30:52 EET 2019

On Fri, Jan 18, 2019 at 18:19:05 +0100, Ulf Zibis wrote:
> > (It is simply not possible, you can only send frames to your
> > driver / display.)
> Well, but the software player could send 50 frames per second with
> alternately updating only each 2nd top/bottom line.

It could. But if the display is anything else than an old CRT, it will
first deinterlace internally. LEDs and LCDs would give you headaches if
they displayed alternating lines, as the "afterglow" effect of CRTs,
retaining the line's content, is not present.

Now, whether your deinterlacer or the display's is to be considered
better, is up to you. (In my experience, there's a wide variation in
the performance of scalers, both HW and SW. I assume the same is valid
for deinterlacers.) But encoding/compressing interlaced content gives
me a yucky feeling, I would always prefer encoding deinterlaced.

Moritz