[FFmpeg-user] Per frame metadata example?

Francesco Pretto ceztko at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 21:07:39 EEST 2019

Hello,

I'm investigating on possibility to encode per frame metadata using
ffmpeg API. Naive attempts to set a dictionary on "AVFrame.metadata"
with some key values failed without any warning or error during
encoding, but no values are retrieved on the field during decoding.
I'm using ffmpeg 4.1.3 with modern send/receive API usage. Other users
on SO seemed to try similar approach without success[1][2]. I've no
specific requirements on container format: any format supporting this
feature plus streaming would be good. I first tried with flv, mp4
formats and ended up testing nut format noticing some trace of
specific support for the feature[3]. Is there any obvious mistake I'm
possibly doing? Is the feature actually supported?

Regards,
Francesco

[1] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51415447/ffmpeg-sidedata-or-metadata-per-frame
[2] https://stackoverflow.com/questions/39330048/ffmpeg-per-frame-metadata-with-rtsp-and-h264