[FFmpeg-user] best way to transform SD to HD w/ pillarbox and yadif

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 09:34:57 EEST 2019

Am Do., 18. Juli 2019 um 22:25 Uhr schrieb William Caulfield
<william.caulfield at contentbridge.tv>:

> I hope I'm getting your intention right here. I had to do this a while back
> for some PAL files. Split the fields, scale, pad, then interlace.
>
> -filter_complex
> "yadif=1:0,scale=1440:1080,pad=1920:1080:240:0:black,interlace,setdar=16/9"

If your input is interlaced and you need progressive output (as the last
hardware that was able to correctly show interlaced content died some
time ago), then the correct order is to crop (if necessary first), then
deinterlace.
If you (for whatever insane reason) want interlaced output and you
have interlaced input, you should not use a de-interlacer (as it will
damage the image further), but tell your scaling algorithm that the
input is interlaced (if the scaler does not support interlaced input,
simply split the fields, do whatever is necessary with them, and
put them together afterwards).
The FFmpeg documentation should contain examples.

Please do not top-post here, it is considered rude.

Carl Eugen