[FFmpeg-user] how to use svt-hevc in x265

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Tue Jul 23 15:28:17 EEST 2019

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 09:48:37 +0200, Frank Tetzel wrote:
> I thought so too, but apparently there is some integration:
> http://www.x265.org/x265-svt-hevc-house/?ModPagespeed=noscript
> https://x265.readthedocs.io/en/default/svthevc.html

Ah, right, I missed that. Sorry. Direct svt-hevc isn't even upstreamed
in ffmpeg yet, the patch is still in review, pending integration.

> I do not see any point in ffmpeg supporting execution of svt-hevc
> through x256. It supports both encoders on its own.

OTOH, if you already have libx265 built with svt-hevc, perhaps there's
a good reason to use it that way.

OTOH, your linked docs say this about libx265:

  Params assigned outside of x265_param_parse() API wont’t [sic] be
  mapped to SVT-HEVC.

And since I don't see ffmpeg using x265_param_parse(), this probably
won't work. But I may be wrong. I'm sure that instructions/docs would
be appreciated, assuming this works.

Cheers,
Moritz