[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg: how to output over HTTP

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Thu Mar 21 00:34:31 EET 2019

On Wed, Mar 20, 2019 at 13:03:11 -0400, Glenn W wrote:
> > I'm totally convinced that if you use ffmpeg the way you are doing, you
> use HTTP only.
>
> So are you thinking all those TCP [PSH, ACK] packets are contained within a
> given HTTP POST?

Yes.

> If you look at the first few packets, I see that FFmpeg first sends a [ SYN
> ], followed by a [ SYN, ACK ] response from server, followed by an [ ACK ]
> from client. At this point, should it not initiate HTTP protocol with
> header and endpoint? Instead it starts sending TCP [PSH, ACK]'s.

It does, it you look at the content. E.g. you can right click on the
first packet and select Follow -> TCP stream. Then you see the clear
text of the protocol.

I was using a different Wireshark this time. Indeed, I went to Edit ->
Preferences -> Protocols -> HTTP and add 5558 to TCP port(s), so that
Wireshark disects HTTP, but it still doesn't. D'uh. This is version
2.6.2. I need to try with my proprietary 1.99.x I use at work, because
that managed to dissect HTTP on port 5558 without configuration.
Peculiar. But glad you believed it was HTTP after all. ;-)

Moritz