[FFmpeg-user] qsv : do I really need to patch and build the kernel ?

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri May 3 12:44:22 EEST 2019

Am Fr., 3. Mai 2019 um 02:35 Uhr schrieb sean darcy <seandarcy2 at gmail.com>:

> I'm getting old watching libx265 run, so I was thinkng of experimenting
> with hevc_qsv. I configured ffmpeg with libmpfx. But now I read I need a
> plugin: hevc_hw. And to get that plugin I need to install the Intel
> Media SDK, which requires me to patch and install a 2-year old centos
> kernel ! Say it ain't so .

My mfx/qsv knowledge is very limited (especially compared to Dennis), I
will still share my experience:
On Windows 10, if you manage to compile libmfx (this was not trivial),
ffmpeg with --enable-libmfx works out-of-the-box so that no further
installations are necessary.
On Linux, you need an additional shared (!) libmfx... library that is
part of an Intel distribution to use "qsv". I was no successful with
it, vaapi works out-of-the-box.

Carl Eugen