[FFmpeg-user] Problems with ffmpeg on Windows 10

Karen Norton nortok00 at gmail.com
Sat May 4 04:55:27 EEST 2019

On Fri, May 3, 2019 at 8:19 PM Spencer Graves <spencer.graves at prodsyse.com>
wrote:

> Hello:
>

>        I could use your help with three problems:
>

> IMMEDIATE BLOCK:  I downloaded wzdu53.exe to a Windows 10 machine.
> However, when I double-click on it, a little circle goes around for a
> fraction of a second and then stops.  What do you suggest I try to get
> past this?
>

> WHY DO I CARE ABOUT wzdu53.exe?  I'm trying to upgrade ffmpeg, and the
> standard instructions tells me to install wzdu53.exe and let it do the
> update.
>

> WHY DO I NEED TO UPDATE ffmpeg?  I was running "ffmpeg -i input.mp4
> output.WebM", which I've done successfully on this same computer in the
> past.  This time, it progressed to frame 15922 and then stopped
> progressing.  A half hour later, I killed it.
>

>        Thanks,
>        Spencer Graves

Hello Spencer,

I run ffmpeg on Win10 but have never used the file you mention to install
it (wzdu53.exe). I always get the latest build from here:
http://ffmpeg.org/download.html. If you click onto the Windows icon it gets
you here: https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ where you can access the
Windows builds for the various architectures (I used the 64bit version).
The zip file unzips into a self contained directory which is nice if you
want to use different versions of ffmpeg for whatever reason. This is
ffmpeg via the command line so I'm not sure if you're running it
differently on your machine.

Hopefully this helps. If you need the file you referenced to do the install
(maybe it installs other components that you need?) then hopefully someone
else who has knowledge of installing ffmpeg with that file responds shortly.

Cheers.

Karen