[FFmpeg-user] stuck on ffmpeg version 2.8.15

Gabriella Han gabbyghan at gmail.com
Mon May 6 20:25:59 EEST 2019

Hi,

I have been trying to install ffmpeg version 3 on my machine (which is
running Ubuntu 16.04). To do so I have been using the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathon/ffmpeg-3 -y
sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install ffmpeg -y

However, when I run ffmpeg -version I always get:

ffmpeg version 2.8.15-0ubuntu0.16.04.1 Copyright (c) 2000-2018 the FFmpeg
developers

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling in many different ways,
restarting my machine, etc. I also consulted with someone who has
experience in Linux and I can't seem to figure out the issue.

Any suggestions or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gabby