[FFmpeg-user] Converting DVCPRO in AVI wrapper to .dv, missing audio stream

Kieran O Leary kieran.o.leary at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 17:47:52 EET 2019

Hi,

On Wed, 13 Nov 2019, 15:23 Joanna White via ffmpeg-user, <
ffmpeg-user at ffmpeg.org> wrote:

> >> On 13 Nov 2019, at 13:55, Kieran O Leary <kieran.o.leary at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> codec to the .dv wrapper so
> >> that it's explicit when committed to long-term LTO storage that it's a
> DV
> >> file.
> >

> > Why is the benefit to removing the container here?
>
> Removal of AVI across all assets for normalisation, also the mediainfo
> FileExtension_Invalid I’m reading as a pointer that it needs to be
> alternative to AVI?

No, mediainfo is saying that your files is actually an Apple QuickTime MOV
that someone (or an app) renamed to AVI. It's not AVI at all.

> > The extra audio stream in your source is probably just a duplicate of the
> > pcm stream that is interleaved in your DV stream. You might have to
> double
> > check that.
> > Anyhow DV most likely can't store an extra audio channel as you're just
> > demuxing the DV stream itself. You'll need to use a container or just
> leave
> > the Avi file as Kato retain that I'd imagine.
> >

> I’ve been made aware that the .dv choice only supports a stereo pair and
> that this might be the problem.  It’s passing one channel but it’s wrong
> and the audio is mute on playback.

Your ffmpeg command is just remuxing the DV stream as is. Some capture
tools tend to copy the audio stream in the DV stream as a seperate track,
but the seperate audio track is really just identical to what's in the DV
stream.

> Might move to an MKV option to normalise assets as I see that dv was a bad
> choice. Will MKV work for dvcam?

MKV will work but perhaps all you need to do is rename to MOV, document the
action and leave it as is? Less risk and work that way.

Best,

Kieran.