[FFmpeg-user] Reading LTC from an audio track?

Harvey Pikelberger communque at gmail.com
Tue Nov 19 19:17:23 EET 2019

Updating this question: is FFProbe able to read and report LTC recorded onto a specific audio track?

What we've got are MP4 production files, some from A-Cam, some from B-Cam, each with TC, but which were not (or could not) be jam synced.
So to create sync the production crew used an external TC generator and recorded it to A1 of both cameras.

So our goal: ignore the camera-generated TC track, and use the A1-recorded LTC as the basis of our sync in post.

Premiere Pro, for whatever reason, was unable to read the LTC off audio track, in spite of having a number of options for it.
Resolve was able to read it, so we know it's valid and functioning, but using Resolve for this many files: manually importing, reading, then reporting the TC is not an efficient way of working.

We're hoping there's something in the world of FFMpeg / FFProbe might be able to help here.