[FFmpeg-user] FFplay sync ext

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Sat Nov 23 17:31:51 EET 2019

On 11/23/2019 3:48 AM, Bouke / VideoToolShed wrote:
> Seeking a way to slave video playback to an external clock.
> (Meaning, jump to specific position and restart playing if the difference between current playback time and external clock is too big.)

How big is "too big"? A second? Minute? I don't think you're going to get
frame-accuracy.

What do you mean by "playback time" in this context? (The problem may sound
simple, but we're left to make a lot of guesses about what you want to do;
please fill in some details.)

> Or is FFplay not the tool for this?

It may not be. mplayer has a "slave mode" which takes commands, including
seek-to-time (in seconds). So does CasparCG, but that's probably overkill
for a simple player. Remember that any of these will simply jump to that
location in the file and may glitch the picture until a key frame comes along.

Later,

z!