[FFmpeg-user] Number of frames decoded not = number of frames encoded

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 19:36:08 EET 2019

Am Mo., 25. Nov. 2019 um 10:52 Uhr schrieb <hydra3333 at gmail.com>:

> I am experimenting and reviewing the usefulness of hevc  for me by
> transcoding h.264/avc .mp4 files into hevc .mp4 using nvenc.

(Without looking at your actual command line that looks very complicated)
Every (re-) encode is equivalent to a loss of quality, so unless you need
smaller files (with worse quality) or smaller resolutions, you should not
reencode.
If you encode something that you don't want to keep in its current state,
libx265 is supposed to provide better quality / smaller file size than libx264,
don't know about the hardware encoders: Usually, they quickly provide bad
quality.

Carl Eugen