[FFmpeg-user] Differences in output between FFmpeg versions

Moritz Barsnick barsnick at gmx.net
Wed Oct 16 00:44:31 EEST 2019

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 15:08:56 -0600, Ethan Coeytaux wrote:

> When upgrading however we noticed there are substantial differences
> in the output of FFmpeg when using a newer version (either 2.6.8,
> 3.3.4, or 4.1.1) compared to the older version, which has notable
> consequences on our analysis of the audio. However, the output from
> 2.6.8, 3.3.4, and 4.1.1, while still different, are much more similar
> than the output from 2.2.1.
[...]
> Any tips or advice would be much appreciated, thank you!

You forgot to tell us what those differences in the output are. What
are the "consequences on our analysis of the audio"?

Are you saying audio was decoded (to raw) more correctly previously
than it is now?

I believe decoding of MP3 and AAC should be pretty precise. You can try
alternative decoders (such as libfdk_aac) for comparison, but I'm
riddled what you mean.

Moritz