[FFmpeg-user] HLS conversion fails with "Cannot use rename on non file protocol..." error

Hoggins! hoggins at radiom.fr
Sat Oct 19 20:21:21 EEST 2019

Hello there,

First post on this list.
I'm trying to convert a file to HLS without reencoding, and I'm stuck
with an error I quite don't understand. Here's my command:

    ffmpeg -i rockinspace-okoyome.mp4 -c:v copy -flags +cgop -g 50
    -hls_time 1 -hls_playlist_type vod rockinspace-okoyome.m3u8

So it starts normally and creates a bunch of .ts files as expected, but
at file no 1764, it stops with an error I cannot relate to:

    [hls @ 0x55657b07ec00] Opening 'rockinspace-okoyome1761.ts' for writing
    [hls @ 0x55657b07ec00] Opening 'rockinspace-okoyome1762.ts' for writing
    [hls @ 0x55657b07ec00] Opening 'rockinspace-okoyome1763.ts' for writing
    [hls @ 0x55657b07ec00] Opening 'rockinspace-okoyome1764.ts' for writing
    [hls @ 0x55657b07ec00] Cannot use rename on non file protocol, this
    may lead to races and temporary partial files
    frame=69230 fps=436 q=-1.0 Lsize=N/A time=00:46:07.60 bitrate=N/A
    speed=17.4x
    video:1352238kB audio:42374kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global
    headers:0kB muxing overhead: unknown
    [aac @ 0x55657b19b280] Qavg: 174.694

Source and destination files are on a local filesystem, so I quite don't
understand why I would get this error. But considering it always happens
at this particular file, I'm guessing there might be something odd with
the source file. But what?
Source file is available here if you have a chance to test it:
https://radiom.fr/media-rockinspace-okoyome.mp4

Note that the same thing happens with another file but on another segment:

    [hls @ 0x557732d14140] Opening 'rockinspace-enola2178.ts' for writing
    [hls @ 0x557732d14140] Opening 'rockinspace-enola2179.ts' for
    writingd=15.4x
    [hls @ 0x557732d14140] Opening 'rockinspace-enola2180.ts' for writing
    [hls @ 0x557732d14140] Opening 'rockinspace-enola2181.ts' for writing
    [hls @ 0x557732d14140] Cannot use rename on non file protocol, this
    may lead to races and temporary partial files
    frame=64024 fps=385 q=-1.0 Lsize=N/A time=00:43:03.63 bitrate=N/A
    speed=15.5x
    video:1250493kB audio:40609kB subtitle:0kB other streams:0kB global
    headers:0kB muxing overhead: unknown
    [aac @ 0x55772e883cc0] Qavg: 161.026

(source file is https://radiom.fr/media-rockinspace-enola.mp4)

Also note that I was previously using the following command, but I quit
because it resulted in audio and video being out of sync: ffmpeg -i
rockinspace-okoyome.mp4 -c:v -c:v libx264 -crf 17 -preset slow -flags
+cgop -g 50 -hls_time 1 -hls_playlist_type vod rockinspace-okoyome.m3u8

Any idea? Should I try to reencode the source file to "normalize" it?

    Thanks!

        Hoggins!