[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg nvenc without cuda

Johanna Nilson jnils75 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 21 11:33:47 EEST 2019

Sorry, but I think that the problem is not in profile M10-1B. This article (
https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX217781) says that we require profile
with equal or more than 1GB to use NVENC, but M10-1B include 1GB, so, it's
ok.

When I use command:
ffmpeg -f gdigrab -i desktop -framerate 30 -tune zerolatency -r 30 -c:v
hevc_nvenc -f mpegts udp://...

FFMPEG log clearly says that:
[hevc_nvenc @ 00000000005a6840] dl_fn->cuda_dl->cuInit(0) failed ->
CUDA_ERROR_NO_DEVICE: no CUDA-capable device is detected

There is no coda cores available in the profile M10-1B, but they are not
needed for encoding. So, FFMPEG requirement of them is redundant. But I'm
100% sure that nvenc is available in configuration M10-1B. I've made a
solution similar to this:
https://github.com/bloodelves88/CloudyNvCapture/blob/master/samples/NvFBC/NvFBCDX9NvEnc/NvFBCDX9NvEnc.cpp
It works ok in M10-1B configuration. It uses Nvidia capture and Nvidia
Nvenc without using cuda to produce h264 frame sequence. The problem in
FFMPEG is that it requires cuda even when it is not used. So, please, can
we do anything with this unneccesary requirement of cuda when we try to use
hardware encoding on nvidia cards?

It's not only my issue. This man also have similar problems (
https://superuser.com/questions/1482726/is-there-a-way-to-use-nvenc-for-ffmpeg-without-cuda).
The FFMPEG log is not the same, but question is the same. Changing M10-1B
profile is not a option. It is sutable for using NVENC, the only problem is
that FFMPEG requires CUDA when is is noot needed.