[FFmpeg-user] Licensing fees

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Sun Sep 22 14:09:27 EEST 2019

       The Wikipedia article on FFmpeg says, "License:  LGPL 2.1+, GPL 2+
Unredistributable if compiled with NVIDIA Performance Primitives." That
comment has a footnote saying, "FFmpeg can be configured to make it
proprietary and unredistributable software, because NVIDIA Performance
Primitives, an optional external library, is proprietary software and
cannot be distributed under the terms of the GPL."

             1.  If anyone has any information that contradicts this, I
want to know -- especially I want a solid, reputable source that can be
cited in that Wikipedia article.

             2.  Otherwise, this would seem to answer the question: You
should read the LGPL and GPL and perhaps consult an attorney, but I
think this means that a small company can bundle their proprietary
software with FFMPEG, and distribute their device without paying a
license fee to FFmpeg.  Of course, if the product is successful, one
might expect that the small company donates to FFmpeg and may even pay
some of their own people to help develop FFmpeg so it becomes a better
product for everyone else in the future.

       Spencer Graves