[FFmpeg-user] trouble shooting defective FFmpeg install on Windows 10?

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Fri Sep 27 01:46:01 EEST 2019

Hello:

       What would you suggest I do to troubleshoot a defective install
of FFmpeg for Audacity on Windows 10?

       A colleague installed FFmpeg for Audacity 2.2.2 on a Windows 10
computer.  Edit > Preferences > Libraries > "FFmpeg Library:" =
"C:\Program Files (x86)\FFmpeg for Audacity\avformat-55.dll".

       When we did File > Open (or Import) > [a *.MOV file], we got a
message saying FFmpeg for Audacity was required.  But we have it.

       I'm not sure, but I believe we installed it following the
instructions on
"https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/installing_and_updating_audacity_on_windows.html#winff".

       Thanks,
       Spencer Graves
p.s.  A week ago I installed FFmpeg for Audacity successfully for
computers running Windows 7 and 10 and for macOS 10.14.6.  Now I try
what I think was the same procedure on a friend's Windows 10, and it fails.