[FFmpeg-user] Play FFV1

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Mon Sep 30 14:30:40 EEST 2019

Dear Daniel,

On 26/09/2019 16:07, Noeck wrote:
> Am 26.09.19 um 16:01 schrieb Carl Eugen Hoyos:
>> Most likely, ffv1 was created with high compression in mind, …
> I know. I still hoped I could watch it.

It greatly depends on CPU, data-throughput (disk/network) *and* player.

===========================
FullHD at 50fps in FFV1 requires quite some hardware.
I'm pretty sure that for this, Quadcore @ 3.2GHz is NOT enough.
===========================

May I ask how much bits-per-component (bpc) and which subsampling you're
material has?
I know that film archives play 4k FFV1 in realtime (@24fps) for >8bpc -
with sufficient hardware though.

  * FFplay is usually my reference if the hardware "may be able" at all.
  * VLC is not the fastest FFV1-player.
  * For Windows, MPV (https://mpv.io/) is way faster than VLC for FFV1

>> There is a slices setting but I doubt it will help in your case.
> I tested some slice settings and they are always at least the number of
> cores (n_slices ≥ n_cores). It does not help here.

May I ask how many slices you've used?
I usually suggest n_slices to be dividable by n_cores. Something between
16 and 24 slices is a good number for most resolutions.

Nevertheless:
I guess you will need more cores to play that content.

Nice greetings!
Peter B.