[FFmpeg-user] telecine pattern 5555 - Judder-free, 60 FPS telecine (?)

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 18:23:54 EEST 2020

On 03/31/2020 04:23 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Am Di., 31. März 2020 um 21:21 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>>
>> On 03/31/2020 03:16 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:

>>> No.
>
>> You must have a good reason. What is it?
>
> Apart from the telecine process damaging the image...

Yes, telecine damages the output image.

I assume you agree that a telecine that produces
20% combing @ 12Hz & no cadence (i.e., 5-5-5-5 pull-down in the raw frames)
is better than
40% combing @ 6Hz & 2-3-2-3 cadence (i.e., 4-6-4-6 pull-down by the TV).

> ...and the deinterlacer permanently ruining it?

Does a deinterlacer ruin the image? If the picture is progressive and if all the deinterlacer does
is deinterlace?

But it appears that 'bwdif=mode=send_frame' is doing more than deinterlace. It appears to be
decombing, even for the 8 of 10 frames that are not combed.

Is there an alternative to 'dwdif'?

Carl Eugen,
are you a developer or a user? I ask that question innocently because I really don't know.

I looked at the libavfilter source code. I searched for telecine. Who's name do I see in
vf_telecine.c? "Paul B Mahol". I had no idea that Paul was a developer -- why would I?

Paul Mahol,
I don't know how my questions have irritated you. I don't know your code at all. I don't know how it
works or, aside from pretty vague descriptions, what it does. Certainly, I don't know what it does
in detail. But, I apologize for any offense. I meant none, honestly.

Now, good news.

A person at 'https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/8590' (handle: "pdr0") posted a video,
23.976p.mp4
I used it to create
'telecine=pattern=5' 59.940i.mkv
'telecine=pattern=5,bwdif=mode=send_frame' 59.940p.mkv

ffmpeg -i IN -vf "telecine=pattern=5" OUT

does exactly what I wanted. P (progressive) & C (combed) frames are
P P C P P P P C P P