[FFmpeg-user] AMD GPU + Vaapi encoding problem

Ted Park kumowoon1025 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 02:00:42 EEST 2020

> On Apr 8, 2020, at 15:56, Colin Bitterfield <colin at bitterfield.com> wrote:
>
> I tried VAAPI with a RADEON 580 on Linux. It was intermittent at best.
Maybe it’s because it’s the last RX Polaris card they released before moving on, the video encoding/decoding hardware changed. But then again it is the exact same gpu as the 480, so what’s up with that I wonder, do you mean performance was intermittent?

> I wound up using Vulkan with success.
>
> This is the hwaccel command I was using for transcoding.
>
> time ffmpeg -hide_banner -stats -hwaccel vulkan -init_hw_device vulkan:0 -threads 16 -i input.mp4 -vf scale=854:480 -c:v  libopenh264  -c:a copy -quality quality -b:v 2M -crf 23 -maxrate 2M -bufsize 6M -slice_mode dyn -max_nal_size 65535 -allow_skip_frames 1 output_gpu_3.mp4 -y

What were you comparing the execution time of this command to? I don’t know what Vulkan looks like (with Apple cutting it off with their own API and all…) but I thought those ffmpeg options the way you used them would only apply to the decoder? And then the encoder used is Cisco’s version… A bit confused here.

Regards,
Ted Park