[FFmpeg-user] Preparing to compile ffmpeg from git source -- stuck

Carl Eugen Hoyos ceffmpeg at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 02:56:29 EEST 2020

Am Mo., 13. Apr. 2020 um 01:51 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
<markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> On 04/12/2020 07:43 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> > Am Mo., 13. Apr. 2020 um 01:33 Uhr schrieb Mark Filipak
> > <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:

> >> I don't know why it's *obviously not* okay to follow the path outlined
> >> in the ffmpeg docs, but so be it.
> >>
> >> I don't know what you mean by "What else should I have expected?"
> >
> > I suggested to use wsl because that is how I compile FFmpeg on Windows
> > and this works (surprisingly) fast and very similar to compiling on other
> > platforms.
> > Last time I tested msys, it was not fast, I don't know if this has changed.
> > I consider installing wsl simple, last time I installed msys, it was less
> > simple, I don't know if this has changed.
> >
> > I suspect the "ffmpeg docs" (not sure what exactly you mean with it) were
> > written before wsl existed.
> >
> > But given our exchange so far, I wasn't extremely surprised that you
> > did not want to follow what I suggested.
>
> Because you scare the piss out of me, Carl Eugen. I understand so little
> of what you write, and you (and others) get so angry when I don't.

Don't worry: I wrote the above (incorrectly) assuming that you want a
Windows binary, that you can build on Windows (at least in theory) and
that you assumed cross-compilation from Linux is necessary (as it was
once upon a time).
If you don't want to use a Windows box to compile, you will have to
cross-compile from Linux, there are other people who do this more
regularly than me (I never do it).

Sorry for making too many assumptions, Carl Eugen