[FFmpeg-user] Stuck preparing to compile ffmpeg from git source

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Mon Apr 13 07:27:31 EEST 2020

On 2020-04-12 18:37, Mark Filipak wrote:

> On 04/12/2020 09:02 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>> Am 13.04.2020 um 02:24 schrieb Mark Filipak
>>> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>>> [Note 1] I'm pretty sure that a git project requires continuous
>>> access to the Internet.
>>
>> No, you can always download current FFmpeg and move it wherever you
>> need it:
>> http://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2
>> I'm looking at the contents of ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2 right now.
> I see no binaries. I see make files & scripts and whatnot, so I assume
> ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2 is source.
>
> The whole point of this thread is that I can't compile from source.
> I'm stuck.

Mark, you might be missing that Carl Eugen cited your [Note 1] in his
reply.  You say "a git project requires continuous access to the
Internet". You are mistaken about that. Which is great, because you are
about to discover the wonders of distributed version control.

The directory *ffmpeg/* inside that archive is a git repository, your
own local copy, requiring no connection to the internet. Carl Eugen said
it is "current FFmpeg", but I'll bet what it is is the current FFmpeg
source repository snapshot.  It includes commits, revision histories,
branches, a whole lot of repository.

What happens if you move this repository to the machine which you want
to keep free of an internet connection, and attempt to build from source
there?

> There is no binaries at ffmpeg.org.
> https://ffmpeg.org/download.html links to
> https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ but the ffmpeg build there
> apparently is stale.

I'm afraid you overlooked something on the downloads page. The big green
button "Download Snapshot", on the right-hand pane, links to exactly the
<http://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2> URL which Carl
Eugen cited.

So in this round at least, Carl Eugen gave you something a) helpful and
b) responsive to your message, and were the one being dismissive.

Have fun solving the compile problems!
       —Jim DeLaHunt, Vancouver, Canada

--
     --Jim DeLaHunt, jdlh at jdlh.com     http://blog.jdlh.com/ (http://jdlh.com/)
       multilingual websites consultant

       355-1027 Davie St, Vancouver BC V6E 4L2, Canada
          Canada mobile +1-604-376-8953