[FFmpeg-user] Stuck preparing to compile ffmpeg from git source

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Apr 13 11:38:07 EEST 2020

Am 13.04.20 um 03:37 schrieb Mark Filipak:
> On 04/12/2020 09:02 PM, Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
>>> Am 13.04.2020 um 02:24 schrieb Mark Filipak
>>> <markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com>:
>>> [Note 1] I'm pretty sure that a git project requires continuous
>>> access to the Internet.
>>
>> No, you can always download current FFmpeg and move it wherever you
>> need it:
>> http://ffmpeg.org/releases/ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2
>
> There is no binaries at ffmpeg.org.
> https://ffmpeg.org/download.html links to
> https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ but the ffmpeg build there apparently
> is stale.
>
> I'm looking at the contents of ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2 right now. I
> see no binaries. I see make files & scripts and whatnot, so I assume
> ffmpeg-snapshot-git.tar.bz2 is source.

there are no binaries

> The whole point of this thread is that I can't compile from source. I'm
> stuck.

and what has that to do with "git project requires continuous access to
the Internet"? you can download the sources ona different machine and
that you can't figure out how to build sofwtare is a different story and
not ffmpeg related

what about a newer Ubuntu or some serious distribution given that "your
meson version is too old 0.40.1 wanted 0.47" is a joke in 2020

https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/packageinfo?packageID=19835