[FFmpeg-user] Decombing via screening

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 03:32:14 EEST 2020

How do I combine two combed half-pictures so that the resulting picture is screened?

Combed input frame:
11111...
22222...

Desired output frame:
12121...
21212...

It occurs to me that I need to unweave the half-pictures, line-double both, screen both via
pixel-sized screens that are offset by 1 pix, then reweave them.

I've not found a line-doubling filter and I've not found a screen method that actually works.

Also, a method to zoom pixels in the output so I can actually see them individually without a
magnifying glass would be very helpful.

I've tried every filter I could find that has anything to do with blending, screening, blurring,
etc., but I may have missed something.

A really ambitious method would be: Replace the combed frame with a synthesized frame that's a
motion-vector meld of the preceding and subsequent progressive frames, but that seems pretty wild
and probably beyond ffmpeg's capabilities, but I simply don't know.

Thanks,
Mark.