[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg architecture question

Carl Zwanzig cpz at tuunq.com
Fri Apr 17 19:58:01 EEST 2020

Sigh.

On 4/17/2020 5:39 AM, Mark Filipak wrote:
> On 04/17/2020 06:34 AM, Monex wrote:

>> Please do not use complicated phrases or words like "germane" - many
>> ffmpeg-users are not native English speakers and you are causing
>> confusion; it is not necessary on a technical list.

Actually, they -are- necessary on a technical list when supposedly simple
words aren't correct. (Ever read an academic or technical paper?)

> [...] I'm always careful to use the best words and punctuation and
> sentence construction. I really don't know how to make you happy. You know,
> if someone doesn't understand what I write, they can always ask for
> clarification.

It's usually best to use the correct word for a concept in the language
you're currently using, and even that word is borrowed from another
language. I could easily argue that some other writers here are not skilled
in English idioms, so -their- messages are unclear. A common example- in
English, "Feel free to provide" suggests that the writer is offering
permission to the other person, while the way it's often used here is to say
"you need to give us...".

>> You are too verbose (noisy) in your posts. Verbosity is only useful in
>> commands and console outputs, or when telling someone to stfu.
>
> "too verbose" == "not cryptic"?
>
> Your complaints are ridiculous.

I tend to agree. I'm also not going to discuss this further in at least the
next few days.

z!