[FFmpeg-user] decomb versus deinterlace

Mark Filipak markfilipak.windows+ffmpeg at gmail.com
Sun Apr 19 10:56:44 EEST 2020

Upon rereading this thread, I see an error early on. I correct it, below.

On 04/19/2020 02:56 AM, pdr0 wrote:
> Mark Filipak wrote
>>
>> I would love to use motion compensation but I can't, at least not with
>> ffmpeg. Now, if there was
>> such a thing as smart telecine...
>>
>> A A A+B B B -- input
>> A A     B B -- pass 4 frames directly to output
>>     A A+B B   -- pass 3 frames to filter
>>        X      -- motion compensated filter to output
>>
>> Unfortunately, ffmpeg can't do that because ffmpeg does not recurse the
>> filter complex. That is,
>> ffmpeg can pass the 2nd & 4th frames to the output, or to the filter, but
>> not both.
>
> What kind of motion compensation did you have in mind?

Hahahaha... ANY motion compensation. ...Is there more than one?

> "recurse" works if your timestamps are correct.

Carl Eugen said that, too. How could the timestamps be wrong? I was using the test video ("MOVE"
"TEXT") that you gave me. I proved that, for that video (which I assumed was perfect), ffmpeg
recursion of the filter complex does not occur.

Correction: "recursion" was "traversal" in the original posting. Sorry.

...Let's see. I think that's only a dozen or so mistakes I've made in the last 24 hours... not too bad.