[FFmpeg-user] "documented implicitly" [was: Re: Why is format=rgb24 required after maskedmerge?]

Nicolas George george at nsup.org
Thu Aug 20 13:43:10 EEST 2020

Mark Filipak (12020-08-20):
> Of course. You all need to make a living.

Some of us make a living completely differently and contribute to FFmpeg
on a purely voluntary basis.

> But is frustrating users, including potential clients,

FFmpeg has no clients.

> Before I retired, I ran quite a few projects in many companies. We
> never minded spending money. Meeting schedules and objectives were
> always more important than saving money by doing jobs in-house.

For us, the most important is code quality.

Your conspiracy theories about the motivation for poor documentation are
ridiculous. The reasons for it are straightforward: documentation is
boring, and when we already know stuff it is hard to guess what people
need to be told.

If you want to help improve the documentation, learn how to properly use
the project and then write it as you would have wanted it to be
explained.

--
  Nicolas George