[FFmpeg-user] "documented implicitly" part 2 [was: Re: Problem while converting DNG sequnece to video file]

Jim DeLaHunt list+ffmpeg-user at jdlh.com
Fri Aug 21 00:15:51 EEST 2020

On 2020-08-20 13:56, Nicolas George wrote:

> Jim DeLaHunt (12020-08-20):
>> Of _course_ FFmpeg supports DNG format. And of _course_ that is not stated
>> in the mis-named documentation, "ffmpeg-all.html". Nor in the other
>> documentation, `ffmpeg -formats`. Nor in the other other documentation,
>> `ffmpeg --help demuxer=tiff_pipe`.
> I do not remember seeing your patches to improve it. This is
> documentation, not code: if it is as bad as you pretend, anybody can
> enhance it.

Nicolas, do you remember this?

On 2020-05-05 12:35, Nicolas George wrote [2]:
> Jim DeLaHunt (12020-05-02):
>> Nicolas, I strongly disagree with the term "lazy beginners". This points to
>> a much larger question: who is the FFmpeg documentation for?
> Subscribe to ffmpeg-user, do support there, and then tell me if there
> are no lazy users.
>
>> This does not make them "lazy". What a condescending thing to say!
> What makes them lazy is not perusing the documentation when they need
> it. What makes them lazy is being angry if they do not find exactly what
> they need in the documentation.

I will observe that you didn't actually review the documentation patch
which led to that thread. You just latched on to Carl Eugen's "who
really profits" comment, and complained. That patch was not my only
experience submitting a documentation improvement and having the FFmpeg
project's antibodies reject it. But it did vividly clarify for me what
the project values and what it does not.

[1] http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2020-May/261821.html
[2] http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2020-May/262182.html