[FFmpeg-user] MKV: parser not found for codec ffv1?

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Thu Aug 27 14:12:34 EEST 2020

Dear Paul,

On 26.08.20 21:56, Paul B Mahol wrote:
> On 8/25/20, Peter B. <pb at das-werkstatt.com> wrote:
>> I would be very interested in more information about these messages.
>> Especially regarding "parser not found for codec ffv1"?
> That is only relevant for codecs that actually work only if parsers are enabled.
> FFv1 is fairly simple codec, that does not need parser at all, and
> solely depends
> on muxer ability to store frames.
>
> This is not first time somebody asking same/similar question.
> I think that message is mostly useful only for developers.

Thanks for clearing this up!

I actually mistook it for some kind of warning, so I'm wondering: How
could someone who sees such a message know if it's a warning or just
informal?

When I teach FFmpeg handling to e.g. archivists, I usually tell them to
watch out for anything that "looks unclean" in the process. The message
contains the word "invalid" - which is why this ended up on my table for
inspection :)

Grateful for any suggestions, but also fine if "that's just how it is" ;)
Peter B.